Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Life in Prison Nation

(14 paragraphs, 3 links, signature)   3-23 AIMI blocked post.  I tried to post the following as a discussion item at Assistance to the Incarcerated Mentally Ill group at Care2, but after five minutes it is still sitting in my edit screen instead of posting.  Sometimes, they let my news post after I try other places online.  Although I founded the AIMI group, it is not on a dedicated website and free speech is greatly impeded because we advocate for fairness to disabled and working class Americans.  The censorship is likely done by the cyber censorship team that has control over what is posted anywhere on the Internet and not by Care2 itself.  I suppose Care2 does not address the problem because the cyber censorship team is much more powerful than the Internet company "that cares."  I frequently use my blogs for discussions that are censored elsewhere. Thankfully, Google censors much less than other Internet companies.  I will open a new USPO box for you to send donations for Assistance to the Incarcerated Mentally Ill so we can get our own website and use other means to help the least of these, His brethren.  It may appear at MaryLovesJustice blog in strange fonts to prohibit you from reading it – sometimes extra small fonts or black to fade into the background.  If necessary, highlight the text to read it, or copy the entire post and paste it into a Word document and enlarge the text.  Below is the post I tried to position at AIMI:

Email from a woman who has a son in military and husband in prison (two jobs left for Americans are inmate labor and war).  Please pray for Leslie and others in her position. She is stressed and depressed. Like many police officers and other people who perform vital services, this nurse has to work two jobs to keep afloat.  This stresses them and undermines their ability to render good service to us who need them to be at top form while on the job.  Leslie wrote:

Hello Everyone,

     I am so depressed and really needed someone to talk to.  I tried calling the crisis hot line but wouldn't you know it the phone just rang.  So I thought I would write to you and see if I could bring some relief to my mind.

I work at a hospital I am a nursing assistant I used to love my job I have been there almost 2 years now.  I am finding myself losing myself losing my patience with my patients and that is not good.  The stress level is so high.  I am responsible for 16 patients and the nurses will not help.  Everything is my job from changing to feeding to transporting and it really upsets me.  I do not know if they do not have the time or just do not want to help but the majority of them do not help.  Not sure what to do I have talked to the manager and it got me no where.  If the nurses are talked to you suffer as they make your job even worse.  I want to quit and find a job a little less stressful but I have insurance through them and I will not have insurance if I quit my job and I really need insurance.  I have to work full time which is really hard as it is a hard job and with no real help it just makes it even harder.

Being by myself is really hard as my husband is still doing time in prison.  The economy stinks and I need to often work 2 jobs to make ends meet never mind getting things done around the house that need to be done.  Very stressful.  Just never enough time or money to do all that I need to do.

I am trying to find my mother housing as she has been living with my sister and my sister needs to move.  My other sister is out of work with disability and I think she would help instead of leaving it all up to me.  As she would put it I work full time with one day off a week.  Now she is off with plenty of time to make phone calls and make out applications and she is doing nothing.  So I had to put it to the side for a short while as I do not have the time to keep working at it like I would like to. My mother lives on Long Island and I live Upstate New York she is complaining how much it is costing for her to send back the applications I give up.  She calls my sister Stacie up and gives her details but she is not helping out in anyway why bother calling her and telling her what is going on.

My son wants nothing really to do with me.  He is in the Army and lives in GA and everytime I call all I get is an attitude.  I would like to be closer to him but it does not look like it is going to happen.  Makes me so sad.  I really miss him.

I best be ending this as I have to get ready to go to work.  Thank you for listening and for being there for me.

Leslie

*********

Leslie and others feel powerless, but there is something we can do together without leaving home or missing work:  Join Boycott 4 Justice April 9 and 9th of Every Month -No Shopping!
http://freespeakblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/boycott-4-justice-no-shopping-april-9.html  


I emailed Leslie and others at Yahoo Groups back, but if you follow my FreeSpeakblog at http://FreeSpeakBlog.blogspot.com you already know that when I scheduled a Human Rights for Prisoners March in May 2009, I was suddenly no longer able to reach the many Yahoo groups for prisoner activists, African Americans, and Christians that I joined (Google "HumanRightsForPrisonersMarch").  In any case, the address list is below.  If you belong to any of these, please forward them this blog:

support_for_inmates_n_their_family@yahoogroups.com,
criminaldefenselawforum@yahoogroups.com,
donotgiveuphopeusa@yahoogroups.com,
families_of_prisoners@yahoogroups.com,
girlfriendsofinmates@yahoogroups.com,
heavenknows2@yahoogroups.com,
families-of-inmates@yahoogroups.com, and
husbandsinprisons@yahoogroups.com


Blessings!
Mary Neal


1 comment:

  1. The following message was sent via email to MaryLovesJustice's new follower, Steve Hawley:

    Steve, I appreciate your interest in justice for my family regarding the secret arrest and murder of my harmless mentally ill brother, Larry Neal, and our advocacy for the least of these, His brethren: sick, naked prisoners (Matt. 25:40). You have blessed people throughout the world and touched them with the love of God that shines through you, and you will continue to do that great work.

    I am honored that you follow our attempts to help working class Americans like Leslie, the depressed nurse in my "Life in Prison Nation" article, as well as acute mental patients who were released from hospitals to wander helpless and homeless on America's streets for decades, then arrested, and now spend up to 23 hours a day in solitary confinement. Please pray for my family and me, and also pray for our advocacy to decriminalize mental illness. Hospitals provide secure environments where patients are treated, not punished. Through hospitalization or community care programs (depending on the offenses and functionality of the individuals), the community can be protected without punishing our most vulnerable citizens for being sick while saving billions on the prison budget, which is currently over $50 BILLION annually.

    May God bless you as you continue to serve Him.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete